Project Development and Realisation
We at BayWa r.e. are globally active in developing and realising wind, solar, as well as energy storage projects. Our project development experience and technical expertise give us a comprehensive understanding of local requirements for battery storage systems (BESS), both as standalone projects, as well as integrations that co-locate solar PV and wind farms with BESS technology.
BESS facilities are important to the grid infrastructure. They enable energy from renewable sources, such as solar and wind energy, to be stored and then released when the National Grid requires power, which is essential to facilitate the transition to a low carbon economy and achieve the UK’s goal of net-zero carbon by 2050. BESS facilities enable homes and businesses to be powered by renewable energy even at times when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing.
Innovative concepts such as co-located energy storage are a fantastic opportunity for efficient solar and wind energy production. We are very proud to be leading in the development and realisation of photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage system (BESS) projects in the UK. Our Scurf Dyke project will be pioneering within the British energy storage market, resulting in a most efficient and effective use of the existing grid connection network in addition to an innovative route to market concept.
FAQs about Battery Energy Storage Systems
- What are Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS)?
BESS are rechargeable batteries that enable energy from renewable sources, such as solar, wind, and power from our grid network, to be stored and then released when the national grid requires power. These facilities are essential to achieving the UK’s goal of net-zero carbon by 2050 and for ensuring that homes and businesses can be powered by renewable energy, even when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing.
- What are the benefits of BESS?
Renewable Energy Benefits
- They respond to the climate crisis and the urgent need to decarbonise and stabilise our energy supply, underpinning the move to a cleaner environment and a greener economy.
- In line with Government policy, BESS facilities help to provide a constant supply of renewable energy to homes and businesses in local areas, as well as securing our energy infrastructure for the future.
- Batteries also underpin the UK’s ability to further our security of supply capabilities.
- The UK Government estimates that the roll out of flexible technologies such as BESS, which supports the supply of low carbon power, could save the UK energy system up to £40 billion by 2050, and as a result lower household energy bills.
Habitats and Wildlife
- New planting and biodiversity enhancement measures are implemented as part of BayWa r.e.'s BESS developments.
Annual Community Benefit Contribution
- Community contributions and support for local initiatives are discussed, informed, and committed to through early consultation with the communities that are local to our BESS developments.
- Are BESS developments noisy?
Noise Assessments are conducted at an early stage to inform the scale and design of our BESS developments. This ensures the avoidance and mitigation of unacceptable noise levels in the immediate surrounds and to ensure full compliance with the planning and operational conditions which govern the operation of BESS projects.
- What does a BESS development look like?
BESS facilities consist of battery storage systems and grid connection equipment. The power from the batteries is then connected to an onsite switchgear room that is housed within a green building similar to a storage container which would then be connected to a substation via underground cables. The facility is secured with fencing.
- Are BESS facilities safe?
Safety at BESS facilities, in particular fire safety is something we consider during each stage of our development, design, and procurement activities. Each battery storage container is fitted with internal sensors that detect smoke, high temperatures, and flammable gasses. Battery storage systems used by BayWa r.e. have the highest safety standards on the market. Specialised fire suppression systems are part of all battery storage systems and in the very unlikely event of a fire the battery will be immediately shut down and fire extinguishing measures are automatically released. Further mitigation is captured in the engineering design of our BESS projects.
Fekola gold mine in Mali: The world’s largest off-grid solar-battery hybrid system for the mining industry